4.29.2010

Why Glen Beck converted to the LDS Faith.

Glenn, Tania, and his two daughters from his previous marriage began attending every kind of church they could find. When Pat found out about their church tour, he insisted that they give The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints a try.

“Mary [Glenn’s oldest daughter, who has cerebral palsy] was the first one to feel the Spirit,” said Glenn. “As we were walking out of the chapel, there was a Dunkin Donuts coffee calling my name. The girls didn’t like the church tour at all, but Mary asked, ‘Can we go back there?’ It stopped us dead in our tracks. She said, ‘I just feel so warm inside.’” Glenn agreed to keep going until someone said something that made him mad, which he thought was sure to happen.

But it didn’t happen, and soon Glenn was seriously investigating the Church. “There were bodies of missionaries at my front door,” he laughs. “I think for seven months they were coming. The second, maybe the third discussion that we had, they turned white because I walked in with Mormon Doctrine. I had been reading it like a novel, and I was making notes because I wasn’t going to join something I didn’t firmly believe in. I really had turned over the stones and had really looked.”

Then came the moment Glenn knew he was going to become a member. “I was sitting in Priesthood, and a guy who I had dubbed ‘The Amazing Mr. Plastic Man’—because he was the happiest guy on the planet—was teaching the concept of Zion. It wasn’t a concept that I had really seriously considered before. He asked, ‘How can it happen?’ Tears started to roll down his cheeks and he said, ‘It can only happen if I truly love you and you love me.’”

Wiping tears from his eyes, Glenn continues his story saying, “During that Priesthood lesson I realized I was at a crossroads. There was no reason why I shouldn’t join the Church, other than I didn’t want to be a Mormon. And I thought, ‘Are you really going to let coffee, swearing, rated-R movies, and all that stop you?’”

Pat baptized Glenn on October 23, 1999—an experience that would be extremely emotional for them both. “It was the longest baptism ever,” Glenn recalls with tears streaming down his face. “We were standing in the water and he couldn’t get the words out. He had watched me struggle for so long. He’d waited for so long. And I couldn’t stop crying. I had seen just a glimpse of the power of the Lord and His promises if you walk in His footsteps. I thought, ‘If I do this, He’ll carry my load.’ I couldn’t wait for that to happen.”

By joining the Church, Glenn finally found meaning in his life and a new outlook. “The great thing about the gospel is that we know the end of the story,” he says. “That’s why I’ve changed. I still have high levels of stress, but not like before. As long as I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing, to the best of my ability, striving diligently to follow the Lord’s footsteps, I can lose my job. The money, the house, it’s a total byproduct. It’s an extra little perk, where ten years ago it would have been all about that. My perspective has totally changed.”

1 comment: